Five simple lifestyle practices can greatly reduce your risk of heart attack. The amazing thing is that only 1% of men do all five.
A link from a reliable site on heart health (mostly for women) called iVillage Health, reported on a Swedish study of 20,000 men and came up with 5 simple lifestyle practices for heart attack reduction. Good news for the couch potatoes: 40 minutes of walking or cycling/day results in only a 3% risk reduction!
Here they are:
1. Don’t smoke: —–36% risk reduction
2. 40 minutes of light daily activity —–3%
3. Keep your waist circumference under 37″ —–12%
4. Drink no more than 2 alcoholic beverages/day —–11%
5. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, reduced-fat dairy products, whole grains and fish. —–18%
So while it may seem surprising that only 1% of men do all five, you can make major risk reductions by following 3 or 4 of them.
Here’s to your heart health!